Monday

"EEK!" Ikat...at least that's what I used to think!

Definition:  Ikat, or Ikkat, is the method of weaving that uses a resist dyeing process similar to tie-dye on either the warp or weft fibres.

If it looks familiar to you, you may remember it from the 60's and 70's when it was used quite often as people became, or at least pretended to be, more Bohemian. I remember it done in peaches and teals and frankly, it made my stomach turn to look at. So when a few years ago I started to see the resurgence of Ikat...I scoffed like I was Rockefeller. No way will it last...no way will I use it! I've come a long way since then and now keep such opinions to myself and try to keep an open mind. Well, ikat is still going strong and with the fabulous color ways and bold patterns they're churning out in furniture, accessories, wallpaper and fabric it might just become a classic. Here are a few ways to do it and do it well.

Loving this color palette (similar to BM Forest Moss) and those incredible gold tables! Ikat is a great accent fabric to use in smaller doses for throw pillows.
(amanda nisbet)

apt therapy
 
Be still my beating heart! I don't know about you, but I'd be too worried my dirty designer feet would sully the pristine beauty of these gorgeous shoes. These would need a display box.
Charlotte Moss


One of my favorites, for sure! I have quite a few ikats like this available so let me know if I can help you select one.
Decorno

Design Sponge

I've had my eye on this Donghia fabric for a while now and this is an inspired use of it as art!
Design Wonderland


Sweet, no?
Horchow

An ikat area rug is a surefire way to brighten up a space and incorporate a bit of the trend.
Flikr


Style Files


This Young House

Urban Outfitters

Design Hole



alan tanksley



We have beautiful ikats available by the yard from Duralee, Thibaut, Kravet and Schumacher.
Email with questions or to set an appointment. Out of town? We ship!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails